- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
Error code 0x80073b01 indicates a failure between the Windows Defender and another security program on your computer or that the system files are corrupted and hamper its correct operation.
If this problem occurs, you will receive the following complete error message.
An error has occurred in the program during initialization. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator.
Error code: 0x80073b01
This message may appear when you try to activate Windows Protector on your device, and it will not work. This error message only appears with some other symptoms, such as: For example, Windows Protector cannot be found in the Control Panel, and you cannot run it. You can still get the message that Windows Protector is active and protecting your computer. You may even be able to receive updates for it, but you can’t start it. You can even try to restore it with antivirus software or other recovery software, but you probably won’t be able to.
Remove third-party security software
Any third-party security software will interfere with the built-in security features of Windows Protector. This is probably the reason why this error 0x80073b01 is displayed. I strongly recommend that you remove it.
To uninstall any third-party software, follow these steps:
- Access to the Control Panel
- Click “Install / uninstall the program” -> click “Open”.
- Select the list of installed programs.
- Right-click the program.
- Finally, click Delete.
After uninstalling or reinstalling, restart your computer/laptop.
Modify the Registry
- Press Windows + R.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- The registry editor will open.
- Go to the following address and remove the msseces.exe entry from both:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / WindowsNT / Current version / ImageFileExecutionOption /
- HKEY_CURRENT-USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current version / Policies / Explorer / DisallowRun
- Reboot the PC
- Press start
- Enter CMD
- Select the Command Prompt from the list, right-click on it and run it as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- sfc / scannow
- After the scan is complete, restart your computer.
Reinstall Windows Defender or Security
However, after successfully removing malicious files from your computer, there is a good chance that Windows Firewall will still refuse to run. This is due to corrupted files in the Tools application. The only way to solve this problem is to reinstall the component. Fortunately, you can do so in the following ways:
- First of all, launch the computer with full administrator rights.
- Then press the Windows + R keys and type C: \ Program Files \ and press OK.
- After downloading the program files, right-click on the Windows Protector folder, select “Delete” and then select “Yes”.
- After successfully uninstalling Windows Protector, you will need to download and reinstall the application.
Re-register Windows Defender DLL files
You will need to re-register the DLL files of Windows Protector. Open a command line window with elevated privileges, type “regsvr32 filename” and press Enter.
You will need to re-register each of these DLL files. So, for each of these files, one by one, replace the “file name” with each of these files and press Enter:
- regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32 wucltui.dll
- regsvr32 softpub.dll
- regsvr32 wintrust.dll
- regsvr32 initpki.dll
- regsvr32 wups.dll
- regsvr32 wuweb.dll
- regsvr32 atl.dll
- regsvr32 mssip32.dll
Reboot and see if it helped.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.