- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
Many users have posted activation error 0xc0020036 in the Microsoft Forum. This is an activation error that some users may experience after installing new Windows 10 build updates.
If this issue occurs, some users will need to re-activate Windows 10 after installing a new build version. When trying to reactivate the platform, error 0xc0020036 is displayed.
Therefore, users cannot activate (or reactivate) Windows 10 with product keys when the problem occurs.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Sometimes running Windows Update Troubleshooter resolves several activation problems. We therefore recommend that you use this built-in utility to fix error 0xc0020036. That’s how it’s done:
- Press WinKey + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Update and Security and then Troubleshoot.
- In the right pane, click Additional Troubleshooter.
- Then expand Windows Update and click Run Troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the remaining steps.
- When the troubleshooting is done, return to the Windows Update section and click Check for updates.
- If a pending update is available, download and install it.
Delete Product Key
Some users may need to delete and re-enter a current product key to correct error 0xc0020036.
- To do this, open a command prompt window with elevated rights.
- Type this command and press Enter: slmgr / upk.
- Then type slmgr / cpky and press Enter.
- Close the command prompt and restart Window.
- Re-enter the product key as shown for the first resolution.
Clean Windows Update Download Path Using the Registry Editor
- Restart your computer.
- Next, you need to clean up the Windows Update download path. These steps are for advanced users only! If you mess up your computer with Regedit, you risk losing your files! Be careful or use a professional tool to invest your computer.
- Hold down the Windows key and simultaneously press the “R” key.
- A small new window will appear.
- Type regedit in this new window and press Enter.
- In the new windows, you have navigation on the left. Use it to log in
- In the right pane, search for WUServer and WIStatusServer.
- If they are not listed, we cannot clean the download path. Otherwise, eliminate both.
- Restart your computer.
- Try again to check for new updates.
Check the Status of All Windows Update Services
Three services should be checked if the error code 0xc0020036 is displayed. You are –
- Windows Update,
- Start the DCOM server process e
- RPC endpoint mapper.
- The first is directly related to Windows Update and the last two services are dependencies.
In addition to the direct service, you need to check the Windows Update service dependencies and make sure that they are running or not.
First search for “Services” in the search field in the task bar and click on the search result. After opening the Services window, determine Windows Update, DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper. Check if they work or not.
Otherwise you have to start these services individually.
Enter your Product Activation License Again
Most users who experienced this error experienced problems immediately after installing the 1803 update for Windows 10. In fact, this update has not been activated on many Windows 10 computers. Previously updated by Windows. 8.1 or Windows 7 (benefits from the free update).
Most affected users who have encountered this problem indicated that they could fix the problem by re-entering the activation key from the Update and Security tab. If you don’t know the activation key, you can use a third-party utility that will automatically find the Windows 10 product key.
Here is a quick guide to find out and reinsert the Windows 10 activation license to reactivate Windows 10:
- Visit the Microsoft Website, scroll down to Windows OEM Product Key Tools Links, and click Download Now. Then enter your name and email address in the next screen and click the Download button to start the download.
- After downloading the tool, double-click the installer executable and click Yes in User Account Control (UAC) to give the OEM Product Key Tool administrator privileges. After a few seconds, your activation key should appear. Write it down or copy it to the clipboard as you will need it later.
- After you know your Windows 10 product key, press the Windows + R key to open a Run dialog box. Then type “ms-settings: activity” in the text box and press Enter to open the “Activation” tab of the Windows 10 Settings app.
- On the Activation tab of the Settings app, click Add Product Key and enter the key that you obtained in step 2. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the activation process.
- Restart your computer and check if Windows 10 is activated at the end of the following startup sequence.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.