- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
Some users encounter code 0x80070052 (directory or file cannot be created) when trying to copy files to removable media such as a flash drive or external hard drive. In most cases, the problem occurs with photos and videos (especially with photos with a name longer than 20 characters).
If you are using an old file system for removable storage (such as FAT16), the root folder can only support a limited number of files in the root folder. In this case, you can completely avoid the error by placing the files in a subfolder. However, if you are using the old system file format, you can format the disk and upgrade to the newer version to avoid this kind of problem.
If you encounter a problem while trying to copy encrypted files, then most likely the encryption key cannot be moved next to the file. To fix this issue, make sure Credential Manager and / or the third-party utility that you used to encrypt your files is running when you try to copy the file (s).
However, in some cases, error 0x80070052 can also be caused by some type of system file corruption. To fix this problem, simply run the error checking tool and reconnect the media after the process is complete.
What are the causes of error 0x80070052
As everyone knows, a directory or file cannot be created. The error message may appear when trying to copy files to removable media such as USB stick, TF card, external hard drive, or memory card. This happens most often with photos and videos, especially with photos whose title exceeds 20 characters.
There are several factors that can cause the 0x80070052 error message to appear. Therefore, the following may result in error 0x80070052.
- The directory or filename already exists on your USB stick.
- Could not find directory path on disk.
- There is not enough space on the USB drive.
- The file or directory name contains invalid characters.
- The USB flash drive may not be formatted correctly.
- Windows system files are damaged.
The error message looks like:
“Error 0X80070052: Unable to create directory or file.”
Change file permissions
You may not own the files. Try changing the permissions for these few files.
Set, view, change or remove permissions for files and folders
- Right-click the file or folder for which you want to set permissions, click Properties, then click the Security tab.
- Click Modify to open the Object Permissions dialog box.
- Do one of the following:
- To set permissions for a group or user that does not appear in the Group or Username field, click Add. Enter the name of the group or user for which you want to set permissions and click OK.
- To change or remove the permissions of an existing group or user, click the name of the group or user.
Perform one of the following actions:
- To enable or disable authorization, select the “Allow” or “Deny” checkbox in the “Allow” or “Deny” box.
- To remove a group or user from the “Group” or “Username” field, click “Remove”.
Create a new folder on the USB stick
If the directory or filename you are copying already exists on your USB drive, you will see error 0x80070052. In this case, you can create a new folder on the USB drive. Right-click an empty space on your handheld device and choose New> Folder from the context menu. Then copy the directory or files to the newly created folder.
Clean Boot Windows 10
Disable all third-party startup items and services during the startup process. Using this method, we can determine if the problem is causing the charger or service. Please follow the instructions below:
- Click the Start button, type msconfig (without quotes) in the search box, and press Enter.
- Note. When prompted, click Next on the User Account Control (UAC) window.
- Click the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click the Disable All button (if not grayed out).
- Click the Home tab, click Disable All, and then click OK.
- Then restart your computer. When the System Configuration Utility window opens, select the Do not display this message and do not run System Configuration Utility when Windows starts check box, and then click OK.
I hope you try this simple solution to error 0x80070052 before formatting your flash drive. It worked for me, it might work for you.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.