- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
You need to update Windows frequently. But if you have problems updating, it can be very annoying. Now you will get some tips to fix update error 0x800f0900.
Typically this issue occurs when trying to download / install regular cumulative updates such as KB4013429, KB4093112, KB4013429, KB4093112, etc. Internet connection problems, incorrect configurations of prerequisites, or corrupted components can cause this Windows 10 update 0x800f0900 error. But don’t worry. There are quick solutions to fix this problem.
Reset the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders
You must delete the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder. All update files are downloaded to the Software Distribution folder, which is located in C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution. First, delete all the files it contains after stopping Windows Update services. Second, try restarting your computer a few times to see if the update process starts automatically.
You should also reset the Catroot2 folder, which stores Windows Update package signatures and makes installation easier.
Clear temporary files
You’ve probably heard (or tried) the rollback option available in the recovery menu. Windows 10 actually keeps the installation of the previous version so you can reboot your system if something goes wrong. On paper, that’s great. However, some users have suggested that clearing these and other temporary files might fix error 0x800f0900.
To run Disk Cleanup and remove any redundant files:
- Open this computer or explorer.
- Right click on the section where you want to delete unneeded data and open Properties.
- Click Disk Cleanup.
- Select the option to Clean up system files.
- Check all the boxes and click OK.
Perform a clean install
If none of the previously recommended steps helped, a clean reinstall is the only viable solution. Here we have explained the whole process. It doesn’t take long and you can still save your data. Of course, you need to back up the files from the system partition to an additional partition or external drive. The bootable USB drive created with the Media Creation Tool in the previous step should be sufficient to reinstall the system.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Let’s start troubleshooting with the related tool. Troubleshooting Windows Updates is probably the most widely used tool of all One Menu Tools. This built-in tool should restart the update process and restore all media. You will then be able to update Windows 10 to the April default update.
To troubleshoot Windows Update:
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Update & Security.
- In the left pane, select Troubleshoot.
- Expand Windows Update Troubleshooter and click Run the troubleshooter.
Solve Authorization Problem
Some errors are related to permissions problems on the C: drive and can be resolved with the following steps:
- Log in to the server as “Administrator”.
- Change the permissions to give the network service user full access to the C drive.
- Disconnect from the server.
- Log in again as “administrator”
- Run updates again.
This should install all future updates.
That’s all. Hope one of the steps cleared you up and you won’t worry about update error 0x800f0900 anymore. Be sure to share your successes or suggest alternative solutions in the comments below.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.