Today this blog discusses Windows Update error 0x8007065e, its root causes, and possible solutions to fix it. Often this error occurs due to a corrupted cumulative update (which is missing some kernel files). We have provided some notable solutions to resolve the “0x8007065E data type not supported” issue when these error messages occur.
Corrupted system files and unusual settings of Windows components are some of the main causes of these errors. Run Windows troubleshooter, run sfc / scannow and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to fix this anomaly. Manually downloading and installing the latest KB update can also fix this issue. If none of the workarounds fixes this problem, as a last resort, try rolling back components from updates.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This automatic diagnostic tool checks for update issues on your PC and fixes them for you. Make sure you are logged in as administrator to run the tool.
- Click the Start button and select Settings> Update & Security> Troubleshoot.
- Select Windows Windows from the Start menu.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Follow the instructions on the screen
Fix damaged Windows system files
- Click the Start button and enter Command Prompt.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- When prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
- Type DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth and press Enter.
- Note the space before each “/”
This step can take from a few minutes to 30 minutes.
- Type sfc / scannow and press Enter.
- Note the space between “sfc” and “/”
- Wait for the process to complete.
Retry failed updates
Please try again to run failed updates first. This can help Windows find the missing file and fix error 0x8007065E of this type is not supported. Therefore, follow these steps to rerun failed updates:
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel, then Windows Update.
- Then click Show update history.
- If the updates fail, you can try downloading the files again.
- Then manually install the failed updates.
Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
In addition, corrupted installation files are stored in the Software Distribution folder.
Another way to avoid error 0x8007065E. This data type will not be supported by renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and trying to download and install Windows updates again.
This will allow Windows to recreate the folder and the problem will be resolved. Here are the steps to rename the software distribution folder:
- Press the Windows key and enter command prompt or cmd.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Type NET STOP WUAUSERV and press Enter.
- Also type REN C: WINDOWSSoftwareDistribution SDOLD and press Enter.
- When you’re done, type NET START WUAUSERV and press Enter.
- Reboot your computer after 10 minutes.
- After restarting the system, wait another 10 minutes. Now go to Windows Updates and check for updates. Select the oldest update and install it.
Following these steps will allow Windows to create a new SoftwareDistribution folder again, which will fix the corruption issue. Hence, this will fix error 0x8007065E Unsupported data of this type.