Customers using the November 2019 Update (version 1909) and the May 2020 Update (version 2004) will be bombarded with new and near-unresolved bugs.
In addition to post-installation issues, there are issues with installing updates. For example, when you install cumulative updates KB4565351 and KB4566782, you receive unique error messages such as 0x800f0988, 0x800f081f, and 0x800f08a.
“There were problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you still see this and want to search the Internet or contact support, this might be helpful: (0x800f081f) “is one of the error messages.
In this article, we have discussed the errors mentioned above as well as some solutions to fix them.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
You need to first run the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter by following the instructions below and see if that fixes error 0x800f08a.
- Open Windows Settings> Update & Security> Troubleshoot> Advanced troubleshooting.
- Go to the right pane and select Windows Update.
- Now click on “Run the troubleshooter” and let Windows solve the problem for you. It may take some time to identify problems. So be patient.
- After completing the process, close the settings window and restart the device.
If troubleshooting Windows Update doesn’t resolve the issue, go to the next effective solution.
Try manually resetting the Windows Update service:
Open an administrative command prompt and enter the following commands one by one, and then press the Enter key.
- wuauserv net stop
- cryptSvc net stop
- Clean stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Clean start wuauserv
- clean start cryptSvc
- Clean start bits
- MSiserver clean start
Close Command Prompt and see if Windows Updates are working.
To fix Windows Update error code 0x800f081f, install the fix manually
Follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Enter the service pack number in the search bar.
- Highlight the correct version that is compatible with your PC.
- Click Download next to the service pack.
- Click the MSU link to download it.
- Double click the MSU file to apply the update.
- Start over.
You can also stop the update that caused the installation. You can find it in Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Stop Updates.
Apparently it didn’t work for everyone, and Windows 10 Aug 2020 Cumulative Updates have not been installed yet. If nothing works for you, it is best to wait for Microsoft to update the service pack in Windows Update.
Check the status of all Windows Update services
There are three services that you should check if you get error code 0xc0020036. You –
- Windows Update
- DCOM Server Process Launcher and
- RPC endpoint mapper.
The first is directly related to Windows Update and the last two are dependencies.
Apart from the direct service, you need to know the dependencies of the Windows Update service and make sure they are working or not.