- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
Many Windows 10 users reported error code 0x800f0906 when running the following command from an elevated command prompt: Dism.exe / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command-line utility is an incredibly useful little tool that you can use to maintain and repair your Windows installation. Failure of DISM.exe command can be quite a big problem, especially when it happens when you urgently need a utility to complete your tasks. If the DISM command line tool throws error code 0x800f0906, the corresponding error message will indicate that the original files could not be loaded or the files needed to recover memory could not be found.
In most cases, this issue occurs because of corruption or in some cases, one or more of the latest Windows updates available for the affected computer that are not installed. Fortunately, there is a lot you can do to fix this problem. Here are the most effective solutions that you can try to fix this problem and repair successfully using the DISM tool:
How to repair a damaged Windows image
Solving this problem is not an easy task, but with a few commands you can fix it.
- In Cortana, enter Command Prompt, right-click it and select Run as Administrator.
- Run the following commands in order.
- net stop wuauserv
- cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
- ren Download Download.old
- net start wuauserv
- net stop bits
- net start bits
- net stop cryptsvc
- cd %systemroot%\system32
- ren catroot2 catroot2old
- net start cryptsvc
- Exit Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Updated: June 2023
We highly recommend that you use this tool for your error. Furthermore, this tool detects and removes common computer errors, protects you from loss of files, malware, and hardware failures, and optimizes your device for maximum performance. This software will help you fix your PC problems and prevent others from happening again:
- Step 1 : Install PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista).
- Step 2 : Click Start Scan to find out what issues are causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click on Repair All to correct all issues.
Run DISM command again
DISM failed with error 0x800f0906 in a 100% recovery state on a home Windows 10 computer. So I decided to run DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth again and luckily the DISM “Source files could not be loaded” issue was gone.
Before continuing with the rest of the methods, run the DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth command again to see if the DISM error 0x800f0906 is still there.
Check your date and time settings
Make sure the date and time on your computer (or phone) is correct. Do it
- Press the Windows Image + R keys at the same time to open the Run command window.
- Type control panel and press Enter.
- Change the view to: Small Icons.
- Open the date and time.
- Tap Change Date & Time.
4a. Set the current date / time / year and press OK.
- Click the Change Time Zone button.
5a. Set the current time zone and click OK.
- Select the Internet Time tab and click the Change Settings button.
6a. Select the Synchronize with an Internet time server check box, and then select a time server from the list (for example, time.windows.com).
6b. When you’re done, click “Update Now”.
6c. When the time is updated, click OK twice to close all open windows.
- Restart your computer and run DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth again.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.