If you are suddenly getting Blue Screen Stop DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error on your Windows 10 computer running Windows 10, this article may help you. This BSOD can occur during installation or after installing a feature update. System files like ntoskrnl.exe, hal.dll, nvlddmkm.sys, etc. may also be mentioned in the post.
The driver overwritten the stack-based buffer (or local variable) so that the return address of the function was overwritten and returned to any address when the function was returned. This is a classic buffer overflow hacker attack. The system was disabled to prevent an attacker from gaining full control.
Install the latest Windows update
The Blue Screen of Death Error can be caused by hardware or software issues. To fix this problem, it is highly recommended to download the latest Windows 10 update.
Many of these updates address hardware and software issues, but address several security vulnerabilities. Therefore, if you want your PC to be safe and free of errors, we highly recommend that you use Windows Update and download the latest update. All you need to do to find the latest updates:
- Open the Settings app. You can do this by pressing Windows Key + I on your keyboard.
- When you open the Settings app, go to the Updates & Security section.
- Windows now checks for available updates. If updates are available, they will be installed automatically.
At the end of the day, the problem is the driver overflow heap buffer – fix that now.
Using SFC and DISM utilities
If this is the first time you encountered the DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error, restart your computer and follow these steps:
- Run the sfc / scannow and DISM utilities.
- Disable the virus protection.
- Disconnect all external devices from your computer, leaving only the mouse and keyboard.
- Install all available Windows updates.
Using the Windows 10 Recovery Drive
- Turn on your computer and insert a bootable DVD from Windows 10 or a properly configured USB drive.
- It doesn’t have to be your original Windows 10 DVD as you don’t need it to activate your Windows version and only access certain settings.
- Starting with the drive you just inserted, reboot your computer after it is installed and follow the instructions.
- The Windows Setup window should open and you should be prompted to enter your language, time, and date.
- Once you continue, select the Recover Computer option below.
- Advanced startup options will open as soon as possible.
Start the malware scan
If your computer is infected with malware, the DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error may also occur because the malware may damage or delete the damaged files. Run the installed malware protection software, then run the malware scan and remove all detected malware. If there is no antivirus software, you can download and install it.
Remove faulty software
If the error occurs immediately after installing an application or a new driver, this new program may be causing the error.
To uninstall an application you just installed, from the Start menu, click Uninstall and select Programs and Features.
A window will open to remove or change the program. Select the program you want to install and uninstall it.
Users also reported that the Internet Explorer Reporting Plugin cannot overwrite the packet buffer. Another application that can cause this error is Folder Lock. Therefore, we recommend that you remove them from your PC.