- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer for problems.
- The tool will then fix the issues that were found.
Error 0x80004005 is an undefined Windows error code, usually displayed as “Error code 0x80004005. Unknown error. “Error 0x80004005 can appear on its own or in conjunction with other error messages. Sometimes there is additional text that you can use to narrow down the cause of the problem.
What causes error code 0x80004005?
Error code 0x80004005 usually occurs when accessing shared folders or drives, when using certain programs, or when having problems installing Windows updates. Here are the most common causes of error code 0x80004005:
- Windows update problems.
- Move or rename files and folders.
- Windows notification problems.
- Problems opening or extracting compressed files and folders.
An unspecified error can occur when you try to rename, delete, or extract folders in File Explorer. When an error occurs, the following message is displayed: An unexpected error prevents you from renaming (or copying or deleting) the folder.
How do I fix error code 0x80004005 in Windows?
Find the damaged dll file.
In most cases this error is caused by a DLL file. So why not find out how to fix it first? Your operating system will display a pop-up warning window if you have a damaged or missing DLL file, which represents the dynamic layout library and is responsible for several things that happen in Windows.
When you receive an error message, you may not be able to manage your device well. But don’t worry, I will offer you a solution that will fix the DLL problem.
You can fix the DLL problem, which will automatically fix the error code problem. Therefore, you need to run a system file checker that will find all of the corrupted files and replace them with the correct ones.
- Open the command line by clicking the Start button, then the Command Line button or by pressing the win and R keys to open the Run window.
- Type cmd and press Enter to get a hint.
- Just paste the following text into the black sfc / scannow k field and press Enter.
- Allow a few minutes to stand while the analysis continues. Then you can reboot the device and see if the error is displayed.
Use the Windows Troubleshooting Tool
Many users claim to receive a 0x80004005 error code when their Windows Update Center installation fails. You can use the Windows Troubleshooting Tool to fix an update.
Proceed as follows:
Step 1: Press Windows + S fully to open the search bar, type Troubleshooting and press Enter.
Step 2: Click Show All.
Step 3. Click System and Security.
Step 4: Right-click Windows Update Center and select Run as Administrator.
Click Advanced, in the next window select Apply Repair Automatically, and click Next.
Click “Close” to complete troubleshooting, or click “View Details” for more information about the results.
Take ownership of the file
Error 0x80004005: An unspecified error could be a folder or file permissions issue. Therefore, you may need to take ownership of the folder or file in order to gain full access to it.
You can do this from the properties window of a folder or file or using the TakeOwnershipEx program. This is how you can take ownership of folders or files with TakeOwnershipEx.
- On this page, click Download TakeOwnership to save the software zip file to a folder.
- Then open the zip file and click Extract All to unzip the zip file.
- Open the TakeOwnership setup wizard from the extracted folder to install the program.
- Open TakeOwnershipEx and click the Take Ownership button.
- Then select the folder or file containing the “Unknown error” message and click OK.
If you find other troubleshooting methods to fix 0x80004005 error in Windows 10, please contact us in the “Comments” section below.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.